Sunday, March 27, 2011

Unequal? I Think So.

After watching the Time Wise videos, doing a little reading about the Brown vs. Board of Education case, and reading the article in the New York times it became very clear to me that education in schools is said to be equal, but it clearly is not. In the first Time Wise video he states that "we are nowhere near a post racial America." He says that "people are still being racist and discriminating against average, everyday folks of color whether it has to do with housing, education, criminal justice, employment, healthcare, or elsewhere." I completely agree with what he is saying. I especially agree with the education portion of this quote. It really is apparent that racism and discrimination still exists in education. The Brown vs. Board of Education case was supposed to stop this sort of thing from happening. It created schools to be separate, but equal. It appears to me that people of color often go to schools that are poor and most of the students are at or below the poverty level.


In the article by Bob Herbert he states, "Schools are no longer legally segregated, but because of residential patterns, housing discrimination, economic disparities and long-held custom, they most emphatically are in reality." White people often go to schools that are filled with students who are middle class or above and they have nice facilities while African Americans or Hispanics do not have nice facilities. They often get provided with outdated books and often not even enough books for every student. Does that seem equal to you? It also seems like it is separated by race and class. It almost seems as if the Brown vs. Board of education only changed things a small amount. Here is a chart showing the rates of poverty of different races.

I also noticed from my service learning that being in a Providence school compares to the schools that I have been to all my life. The Providence school's facilities are not as nice as the facilities of the schools that I have been to. Also, I noticed that the Providence schools is predominately African American and Hispanic and the schools that I have been in are predominately white. The school that I went to had a nice playground and we had enough books for all of the classmates. At my service learning school there is no playground, just an empty parking lot for the children to play in for recess. I think that the schools should definitely be more integrated. They should try to mix the students so that people who live in poverty can go to a school with better teachers and a nice facility. In the New York Times article Herbert says that " The best teachers tend to avoid such schools. " He is referring to schools in poverty. I think that this article shows why there might be a problem with the racism and discrimination in education in the first couple of paragraphs. I think that people born into a disadvantage deserve a better chance to succeed starting with education. It just isn't fair to them because they never even got a chance to do well in the first place. 

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you that kids born into poverty need to get the opportunity to go to better schools than they go to now. How can we make this a reality?
    As individual teachers I'm hard pressed to think of ways to make this happen. After all, once the kids are in your classroom, whatever race they are, they are going to be there for the year. And it's up to the teacher to give those students the best education he or she possibly can. So as lone individuals we probably can't do that much.
    So why even bother to confront this problem? I think it is worth the time spent on covering this issue because I think many of us will at some point have it within our power to perpetuate this inequality. As union members, and maybe someday as parents, we will be members of a group that will likely try to enforce the status quo. And maybe by learning about these issues we might actually stop and say, "Wait, maybe making integration an actual reality wouldn't be such a bad idea."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you and Tim Wise about the fact that education is still not equal. Like you, my VIPS experience has opened my eyes to the idea of kids losing out on an experience they should be having just because of the family background they are coming from. If we made schools cabable of dealing with families in need of extra assistance then the students would be making much greater improvements in school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I'm glad we are on the same page with everything that you said. Poorer students, and students of color are not privileged. I also think that there should be more integration amongst the schools. Nothing is fair in this world and the government is only making the gap between the rich and the poor bigger. The only way to get the schools to be more diverse is if the surrounding neighborhoods could be affordable to all classes. It would be nice if the rich and poor could find that equilibrium point. That would be the start of the end of segregation. The next question would be, how do we do that? It is a never ending circle, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with you as well. Students still are being separated and nothing is being done to change it enough. And i also agree that children born into a low income family should start off with an advantage to succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you on the fact that children that are born into a low income family should start off with an advantage and get a good education. They need all the help they can get from their teachers and from their classmates. Also in my VIPS experience I have noticed how different the Providence Public schools are from my own elementary school. African Americans and Hispanics were rarely seen in my school and by seeing this drastic change in the school that I am doing my VIPS tutoring was kind of hard to get used to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This also made me very aware of how segregated our society still is. I never put much thought into it and now my eyes have been opened and I notice it everywhere!

    ReplyDelete